Sunday 20 October 2013

Homemade Raspberry Jam


Hi my name is Jasmin and I like making jam!......Some people who know me say I have Grandma like ways what with my love of making jam, baking, crafting, knitting and gardening but I'm equally happy out having fun with friends or being at home making jam or baking, I guess that's just how I am. I woke up this morning and just felt like making jam, it's such a perfect activity for a Sunday.

This year we've had quite a bumper crop of raspberries in the garden which I've been really excited about as it's meant I could make my favourite raspberry jam and enjoy my lovely homegrown raspberries all through Winter. I'm looking forward to enjoying the jam in a Victoria sponge cake or on some homemade scones with clotted cream!

Raspberry jam is really easy to make & perfect for those who are new to jam making.

Ingredients

1.5kg raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1kg jam sugar with added pectin
1 lemon juiced

Method

First you will need to clean & sterilise approximately 6 empty jam jars by washing them with soapy water then placing in a cold oven which is then heated to 150C for 10-15mins. Leave the jars in the oven until the jam is ready. 

Place a saucer in the freezer which will be used to test whether the jam is ready later.

Add half the raspberries & all the lemon juice to the wide based jam pan.

Mash with a potato masher & heat for 5 mins. 

Transfer the mixture to a seive over a bowl & drain. Then push the pulp through the seive with a wooden spoon until only the seeds remain. 

Return the liquid & sieved pulp back to the pan & heat.

Add the jam sugar & stir.

Add the remaining whole raspberries & bring to the boil. Leave on a rolling boil for 5 mins.

To test whether the jam is ready, turn down the heat & place a little on the cold plate. If the jam wrinkles when pushed with your finger, it's ready. If not boil for a further 2 minutes. 

Turn off the heat & pour or ladle the jam into the jars. Place a wax disc on top of the jam & seal the jar. 

This recipe be enough for approx 6 jars & will keep for a year. 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Lovely Little Things | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig