Sunday 10 July 2016

Blueberry Bundt Cake


For me, there’s nothing like a spot of baking on a Sunday to round off the week and put me in the right frame of mind for the week ahead. This morning I was in my garden bright and early picking lots of sweet and juicy Blueberries which I thought would be perfect for a Blueberry Bundt Cake plus I really wanted to get in the kitchen and try out my new Ikea Droömar tin, happy times!
You may have gathered by now, I’m very much a diabetic with a fondness for baking cakes, but that’s what I love about Sundays; I can bake a cake in the morning and by the afternoon I’m sharing it with friends and family. Bundt cakes are something new for me, but I’ve enjoyed trying out Bundt cake recipes recently and also working on some recipes of my own. I think Bundt cakes are such striking cakes but I know some people worry they’ll be overly complicated to make. It doesn't have to be difficult though and I'd really recommend giving it a go. My Blueberry Bundt cake is so light and tasty and it really is super easy to make.

Cake Ingredients

• 175 g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
• 375 g (13oz) plain flour, plus extra to dust
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 275 g (10oz) caster sugar
• 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 150 ml (5 fl oz (¼ pint)) buttermilk
• 225 g (8oz) blueberries
• Pinch of edible flowers (optional)
Decoration Ingredients

• 250 g (9oz) icing sugar
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• milk
• handful of blueberries

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4. Lightly grease a 25.5cm (10in) diameter Bundt tin and dust with flour (tap out any excess).

In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and 1/4tsp salt together.

Using a freestanding mixer or handheld electric whisk, to good old fashioned wooden spoon, beat the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy – about 5min. Gradually beat in the eggs. If it looks as if it's curdling, beat in 1tbsp of the flour mixture. Beat in the vanilla. once all the egg has been added and beaten in.

Add the flour gradually, adding the buttermilk towards the end of this stage in about the  two additions.

Coat the blueberries lightly in flour to prevent them all sinking to the bottom and then fold them gently into the mix.

Pour the cake mix in the tin and level.

Bake for 45-50min or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 5min in the tin before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely - this bit can be a bit fiddly so you may need an extra pair of hands here as you flip the cake and the wire over. Once the cake is cool, transfer it to a serving plate or cake stand.

Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the vanilla extract and the add enough milk to make a thick, dripping consistency. Spoon over the cake – letting it drip down the sides. Scatter over the blueberries and edible flowers.

Enjoy!
I'd love to hear your Bundt cake recipe recommendations!

Jx
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Lovely Little Things | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig